Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Happy Birthday Lena

This legend needs no introduction. Miss Lena Horne. Happy Birthday to this trailblazer, multifaceted woman.

I love this picture of Lena with actress Kathryn Grayson. They were in the movie Thousands
Cheer. She sings Honeysuckle rose in the movie. There was a practice they would have scenes with Black performers and cut their scenes out especially when they played in the south! 

These next two film pictures come from the movie Death of a Gunfighter from 1969. She starred in opposite Richard Widmark.  I believe this is one of the few dramatic roles she ever had the opportunity to play. I am eager to see it


I believe they get married in the film which is what this scene is. When I see it, I will surely update this post.

I want to leave you with this clip with Lena Horne talking about racism. This was filmed in 1996. It is, sadly, still timely today. Lena passed away in 2010 at the age of 92. Bless her and all that she did to pave the way for so many African American performers.









No comments:

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...