Thursday, May 21, 2020

The Empire Strikes Back 40th Anniversary!

Happy Thursday, my friends. Today is the 40th Anniversary of my favorite Star Wars film: The Empire Strikes Back.  It still is my favorite of the Skywalker Saga; also,one of my favorite films of all time. I have seen Empire endless times. I can pretty much quote the film line by line by heart.




 The Empire Strikes Back is still one of the few sequels that is better than the original.It has a grittiness that makes it realistic to me than many of the other films in the saga. Everyone loses in the movie! If you don't believe me, go back and watch the film.

                            



At 11, that was a great lesson to me. And still is. You will fall, you will mess up, truths will be told to you that is painful, you may lose all that you loved, there is always hope. That last scene in Empire with Luke and Leia looking as Lando and Chewie fly away to find Han gives you a feeling somehow it will all work out. Thankfully it does. The Empire Strikes Back shows that you can learn from your losses and win even bigger than you thought possible. You can gain wisdom and somehow find your place in the universe. All of that happens in The Return of the Jedi. Whenever things got challenging for me or I needed inspiration, I could always count on Luke, Yoda, Vader, Leia, Chewie, Han, Lando, Artoo and Threepio to help me through. I am sure they always will. 
                                   




Here is a little gem for all of you with a recent interview with Mark Hamill about The Empire Strikes Back. There are things here that I didn't know about. I thought I knew a lot about the filming!



There are numerous great moments in The Empire Strikes Back. This is to me one of the best. Yoda's wisdom shines bright all these decades later. Shout out to Mark Hamill, who did such great acting that you forget that Yoda is a puppet! Enjoy. And say it with me: May The Force Be With You Always!! 

No comments:

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...