Monday, November 6, 2017

Two Tips to keep your Blog going

One of the nicest comments that I get is that people who followed me way back, rediscover my blog and say wow, I can't believe you are still here. Yes, I have been blogging consistently since 2008. Are there are times when my life takes over and Swanofdreamers get neglected? Yes. Are there times when I have no inspiration? Yes. Are there times when I say I should let go of blogging? Yes!



One of the things about Swanofdreamers is that I try to make it an extension of me. So if you read my blog and meet me in real life, I am the same person. Now, they call it branding. Back in 2008, for me it was about being authentic. I do make an effort to blog about what I like. That is probably why Swanofdreamers has never become a huge blog. What it has become is a refuge and place where people find peace, creativity and comfort here.
That makes blogging a joy. See even baby Jake agrees.


My first tip I use to keep Swanofdreamers going is to use my draft folder. Whether you are on blogger, wordpress, typepad, you have a folder where you write posts then save them before you are ready to publish. I use that draft folder to the ultimate use. Whenever an idea comes up, I write it on a post. I write it out as much as I can then save it. Then I come back to when I feel ready or have more writing to add. Sometimes, I write posts months in advance. If the Muse whispers to me, work on a winter post in Summer than I follow my Muse. This makes it fun for me. There are no rules. The only rule is to get the writing out of my brain onto to a post.Then it helps me catch up and get posts ready ahead of time.


(one of my numerous Blog headers I've use over the years.)

Another favorite is having special blog posts titles that I use again. I have several: Dream Thoughts, Romantic Vignettes, Actors on Acting, Dreamy Thursday. A few I have let go, some I use frequently. When I see a cool quote or beautiful picture, I know I can use it for Dream Thoughts or Romantic Vignettes. I don't have to think. I just feel and then do. The template is already there, I just have to plug it in. It helps to keep me connected to my blog and my readers when life get busy being Shell.

I want to write a story about this beautiful sistah for Romantic Vignettes. (I know some may see this image as not romantic.) I think she looks beautiful. I don't know her name or why she poses. My mind goes on a whole bunch of ideas on how I can imagine a whole back story for her.



Next year will be ten years of blogging. Wow!! Sometimes, I say I'll stop and do something else. I love Swanofdreamers. I feel I'll keep going until I don't feel it anymore or I want to shift to something different. I have thought of moving Swanofdreamers to another blogging platform which is something I need to investigate more. Swanofdreamers will always be here as long as I am. Hopefully, these tips will give anyone starting or returning back to blogging ideas to keep the fires going. Creativity is always there. Waiting to be used by you.


Shellsigna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shell, this was wonderful.

I must admit, I was a bit miffed when you wrote that some people were surprised you were still around. Perhaps I AM being overly sensitive, since I AM also a fellow blogger, but I digress.

Your two tips to keep one's blog going are very good and useful. I happen to use my Draft folder quite often, and review it, periodically, to see if something needs to be updated.

And yes, some of my favorite fellow blog writers have some regular "columns" that I enjoy very much.

I feel the same way you do about your blog. With both of my WordPress Blogs and my YouTube Channel, I feel led to keep them going until I no longer enjoy them, or they no longer feel useful for me. Although, I must admit, I have been enjoying the "cross-promotion," in recording and uploading a YouTube video, that has an accompanying blog post That seems to work very well for me.

And how exciting that "Swanofdreamers" shall become ten years old next year.

In closing, as someone who is not only one of your blog's subscribers/followers, and as someone who has had the honor and pleasure of not only meeting you in person, it never occurred to me that either you or your blog are anything less than authentic and genuine. Indeed, there is a level of realness that not only comes across in person, but on the pages of your blog.

Thank you so much for all you do.

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...