Monday, October 16, 2017

Camille

I was on a Robert Taylor kick. I just finished watching Magnificent Obsession (1935) with him and Irene Dunne. Then I saw a listing of the movie Camille. I had heard of the movie and never seen. Camille had Robert Taylor, Great Garbo as a courtesan, in beautiful clothes. Garbo isn't one of my favorites, I decided to watch it anyway. Wow, I am happy that I did.

Robert Taylor was gloriously handsome when he was young.

Great Garbo played Marguerite with the right mix of fragility, wistfulness and passion that I was immediately drawn in.



The story is simple.Marguerite and Armand meet at the Opera. She mistakes him for a rich count. Though attracted to him, she has to pay her bills. Sends Armand to get candy, and leaves with her rich count. Armand is fascinated by her. Destiny is kind, the two meet again.



Marguerite ,who has known poverty and riches, finds true love with the handsome and open hearted Armand. Can a Courtesan and a honorable gentleman find true happiness in Paris? The question of love is woven in the movie. Can you love someone that "others" find unsuitable for you? Can love overcome prejudice and station?


Well, you have to watch Camille to find out. I was rooting for Marguerite and Armand to win. Greta Garbo and Robert Taylor are entrancing on screen together.If you never seen this movie,you are in for a treat. Camille will pull at your heart strings. Be prepared. Still, it is a beautiful and heartfelt movie. Of course,here is the trailer.


P.S. Moulin Rogue heavily borrows from Camille. I only realized this after the movie ended.
2nd P.S. Because I love all of you, here is the link to watch Camille.


Shellsigna

No comments:

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...