Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Midsummer/Summer Solstice

Happy Midsummer and Summer Solstice, my friend.

It is a gorgeous time. The sun reaches it's
zenith tonight on this first day of Summer.
It is the longest day and shortest night.

Midsummer is celebrated from June 20th - 23rd.
. You can burn yellow, red and
orange candles. Wear daisies, sunflowers, roses,
honeysuckle, carnations in your hair or on your
clothes. Bake delicious pies and cakes in honor
of our friend, The Sun.



It is also the time of Faeries. When our world
and their world cross paths. And magick in all forms
dances in the air. Perhaps, you will run into the Faerie
Queen herself, Titiana.

This lovely passage is from A Midsummer Night's Dream
by my old friend, William Shakespeare.

Fairy:

Over hill, over dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire,
I do wander everywhere,
Swifter than the moon's sphere;
And I serve the fairy queen,
To dew her orbs upon the green.
The cowslips tall her pensioners be:
In their gold coats spots you see;
Those be rubies, fairy favours,
In those freckles live their savours:
I must go seek some dewdrops here
And hang a pearl in every cowslip's ear.
Farewell, thou lob of spirits; I'll be gone:
Our queen and all our elves come here anon.

Enjoy these beautiful First Days of Summer.

Shellsigna

8 comments:

Her Speak said...

I played Moth in our high school production of A Midsummer Night--so many happy memories of that show. :) I wish I could be a fairy every day!!

Happy Solstice, Shell! Wishing you much sunshine~*

Victoria said...

Yay Shell..a fabulous and beautiful tribute to this magcial day! Gorgeous images and enchanting prose..one of my favorites!!Thankyou ...so lovely!
Blessings of Solstice and wishing you many sun sparkles to bring you magic and joy!
I will add your beautiful link in..thankyou so much for generously sharing it!
Victoria

clairedulalune said...

Hello Shell, what a wonderful post, a beautiful read on this beautiful time of year! Happy Summer Solstice to you!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

A lovely day. Happy Summer to you Shell.
xx, shell

Elisa Day said...

yes midsummer is magical you can feel the magic in the nature and the wonderful light of the midnight sun. Hugs

Laurel said...

My little Girl Ella- is named, first, because I love Ella Fitzgerald and second because the baby book said it meant beautiful Fairy woman. How perfect. I love the idea of the candles and baking pies! Not something I think of much in summer but need to do year round. You are always charming and inspiring Shell.
Love to you!

Tracy said...

GORGEOUS, magical images to ring in summer here, Shell... Wishing you all the bliss for the sweetest summer :o) ((HUGS)

koralee said...

Happy Summer right back at you my friend...enjoy! xoxo

Wordless Wednesday: Spring