Monday, May 12, 2008

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof



Mendacity. I will never forget this word now. It's a central theme in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. It means a falsehood; a lie. It becomes a pivot word in a wonderful scene in the play with Brick and Big Daddy. A scene that broke my heart.

Anika Noni Rose, Terence Howard, Phylicia Rashad, James Earl Jones, Giancarlo Esposito, Lisa Arrindell Anderson, Lou Meyers all shine in this wonderful production of Cat on A Hot Tin Roof. Experiencing the play reminded me why I love theater.

I could feel the sensuality and frustration of Anika as Maggie the Cat. The pain and heartache of Terence as Brick. Film captures a lot, but there is a magic and vibrancy that only live theater can give you.

Two weeks from now, I'm going to see my man, Laurence Fishburne in his one man show of Thurgood Marshall. I can't wait for that! My mom and I had a wonderful Mother's Day watching Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. If you have a chance to go, please do. It is worth it.

4 comments:

Lu said...

thanks for the kind words you left on my blog. i appreciate it.

Shell said...

Your most welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this version of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, but I have seen the movie with Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor many times.

I thought the same thing when I first heard Burle Ives use the word-Mendacity. I had never heard it before but I immediately stored it away for future use-lol.

Shell said...

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for stopping by. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one who noticed the whole concept of Mendacity.

After seeing the play, I want to revisit the movie version. It has been many years.

Wordless Wednesday: Spring