Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Night

Being an actor is having a gypsy lifestyle. So many of us love our craft but are not making enough of a living from it. Last year, I did better from supporting myself from acting. I look forward to this year being even better. When auditions are not happening, yes it's time to temp.
I have a data entry gig that I started last night. I'm working the night shift. I love it. Midtown after dark is a different place. Quiet and pensive. Trash on the street and people seem to walk a bit slower. I had my headphones on walking to the 6 train to go home. When I got on the 6, automatically the old Glenn Frey song "You belong to the city" came on. It fit so much how I was feeling. I was full of longing and yearning for many things.
I arrived home a bit tired but glad money is on it's way to me soon. That the temping is another way to fund my life as an actor. For life is nothing without a dream. Langston Hughes said it best:

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

No comments:

Wordless Wednesday: Spring