Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Happy Birthday Will

Saucy, witty, wicked, dangerous, romantic, bloodthirsty, vengeful, dreamy, triumphant.

There is one man who works embodies all of these qualities and more. William Shakespeare. His birthday is today; 450 years of Shakespeare has left a deep mark over the centuries.



I like to think he would be delighted to know how much people still adore him.

Like my earlier post on poetry, the best way to get into Shakespeare is to read him out loud. It may take some time, before you know it you'll get into his world. Of course, seeing live performances or film adaptations is another way for his plays to come alive. One of the best recommendations I have heard is to read his Sonnets first. His Sonnets echo all the plots that pop up in his plays. I have not only read and performed Shakespeare's sonnets but I have used it as meditation pieces well. His words help to ground and center me.

Here is one of my favorite Sonnets by William.

#43.

When most I wink, then do mine eyes best see,
For all the day they view things unrespected;
But when I sleep, in dreams they look on thee,
And darkly bright, are bright in dark directed.
Then thou, whose shadow shadows doth make bright,
How would thy shadow's form form happy show
To the clear day with thy much clearer light,
When to unseeing eyes thy shade shines so!
How would, I say, mine eyes be blessed made
By looking on thee in the living day,
When in dead night thy fair imperfect shade
Through heavy sleep on sightless eyes doth stay!
All days are nights to see till I see thee,
And nights bright days when dreams do show thee me.

Shellsigna

1 comment:

Jennifer Michelle said...

I still recall when I fell in love with Shakespeare's works, reading A Midsummer Night's Dream with the window open and the crickets singing under fairy lights my 13th Summer. Such a beautiful piece!

Wordless Wednesday: Spring