Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Five on the Black Hand Side

Happy February, my friends. Happy Black History Month and Happy Love month. For me every day is Black History! 




I have heard of Five On The Black Hand Side (1973) for years but never saw it. I happened to turn on the grio channel and got to watch it. Some sweet soul uploaded on you tube in it's entirely which is why I am able to share it with all of you.  
 Mrs. Brooks played by the wonderful Clarice Taylor, who most people know as the grandmother from the Cosby Show, is tired of her chavunistic husband. The day before her daughter's wedding day, she decides to take a stand for her own happiness.


 It has a lot of familiar faces including Ja'Net Dubois, from Good Times, and Glynn Turman. It is a story about family and self liberation. A snapshot of the 70's with all its Black is Beautiful theme, embracing African heritage and generational clashes that resonates still today. I love to see someone redo the film. I enjoyed Five on the Black Hand Side. If you are interested, please watch it. You will not be disappointed. 

No comments:

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...