Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Paris Blues

One of my favorites, Diahann Carroll, was on a talk show about ten years ago talking about her life. My mom and I both love her. We were watching. She then began speaking about how she had loved Sidney so much. About one of the films they made together called Paris Blues (1961). Then they showed the clip of it. It showed her and Sidney Poitier!! We both had no idea they were romantically involved. My mom, who is a big movie fan, never heard of the film. By the end of the week, I had gotten the movie on VHS.

I love Paris Blues for many reasons. First, you get to see a Beautiful Black couple in love in Paris. For the early sixties, I don't think you can get better than Diahann and Sidney for showing Black Love on the screen. Second, it also stars Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. Third, it shows one of my favorite cities. I've always had a fascination for Paris.

The story is Sidney and Paul play musicians living in Paris. Two American schoolteachers come for a vacation. The two couples fall in love. The big question is which couple will stay together past the vacation? I won't spoil it by telling which couple it is.Also, Paris Blues highlights the fact that Paris has been an escape and haven for African American artists. A place where they can create and be judged by their talent and not their skin color. For me, Paris has always been a romantic place fueled by this idea of freedom and beauty. I always wanted to walk the streets that Josephine Baker and James Baldwin did. One day, I will..

If you get a chance to watch it on TCM. Or can rent it on netflix it, check out Paris Blues. I'm sure you'll come to love it as I have.Thanks to everyone sharing their favorite fun movies from yesterday. I'll be back tomorrow to talk about another favorite movie of mine. Here is a trailer for Paris Blues.


Sweet Dreams to you all.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Hmmm, I never saw or heard of this one either. Thanks for sharing what sounds like a gem of a movie!

Flor Larios Art said...

Hi Shell,

I havent't seen that movie but I will...Thanks!
Your blog is full of intresting people and things...I did not have time to read it all but will come back.

Come to my blog I am having an art box giveaway...see you there!
Flor

maritessb said...

OOOOHH I'm going to have to look for it on Demand. Thanks for the recommendation!

Unknown said...

I love both of these actors!!! I always felt that Diahann Carroll wasn't in enough films. She went into television far too soon. Beautiful woman!

I also did not know that she and Sidney were romantically involved. Very interesting. I had just watched Blackboard Jungle on TCM starring Glenn Ford. It was filmed in '55 and Sidney played a rebel student along with Jamie Farr (Mash).

BTW, I am going to visit Beverly in San Diego on Tuesday. She will still be in the hospital. If you don't have her address, you can send a card to me and I will take it to her. You can email me through my profile.

I will need to rent Paris Blues. I don't believe that I have ever seen it. I just checked Netflix and they don't carry it.

Hugs, KJ

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

i haven't seen this one, i promised you to get it from netflix real soon!

Wordless Wednesday: Spring