Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pink Champagne

My love for old films goes back to weekends with my mom when I was little. When we spend a whole day watching old movies. She tell me all the names of the stars. The share what other movies they were in and the memories she had of watching them as a girl. One of the best things about cable is Turner Classic movies aka TCM. I get to watch old favorites and find new ones to enjoy.

On Sunday, I watched Love Affair (1939) starring Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. Now I heard about this film because it was remade in the 50's as an Affair To Remember with Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr, which was referenced heavily in Sleepless in Seattle. Then a nineties version with the original title with Annette Benning & Warren Beatty. I have to see the these other two versions, though I have a feeling it won't equal up to the original for me.


With that all said, if you love old romantic movies you have to see this. It is a bit of a tearjerker. Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer sparkle on screen together. Irene Dunne is quick witted and vibrant. And Charles Boyer is all playful and debonair. I'm not really into bad boys but his oh so bad boy charm had me from the beginning of the movie. It's a lovely film. Funny and warm. All I could say is after seeing the movie I want Pink champagne. You won't understand that until you watch the movie. Then you will be ordering that too.

Seriously, you want to forget the world for ninety minutes. Watch Love Affair from 1939.

No comments:

Wordless Wednesday: Spring