Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Marvelous Maya Angelou

Today I am celebrating Dr. Maya Angelou on her birthday.

Recently, I picked up Maya Angelou's book called Me & Mom & Me. I was transfixed. Then I went back, I didn't realize Maya had written a slew of autobiographies about her life beyond I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. I ordered the second and third book: Gather Together in My Name and Singin' and Swingin and Gettin' Merry like Christmas

OMG. All those wise words attributed to her made sense.Gather Together in My Name we follow Maya as an young mom trying to find her place in the world. I laughed, bellowed and cried as she went through some heinous things.



Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas starts her career as a performer. I was mesmerized. As an actor, I felt in sync with her stories. Her travels as a dancer and singer in Porgy and Bess reawakened my desire to see Venice and Paris. Getting to know this intelligent, sensitive, lovely six foot Maya Angelou has been a pleasure. She directed one of my favorite films: Down in the Delta. I can see why she directed this film so well knowing her life now.




I have finished all her autobiographies. I want to now buy them so I have them to keep. Creatively, I found her inspiring to me as a fellow artist. I love that the last book in the series ends with her beginning to write I know why the Caged Bird Sings




If you have never read her books, like do it now. With most of us self isolating or on quarantine, we have time. I have found comfort, inspiration in her words. I am sure you will to. I just found this gem of Maya Angelou when she was in early days as a singer in the trailer "Still I rise" about her life.



No comments:

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...