Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Wishing on a Star


When it's bedtime for Jacob, we have a routine
we do. One of my favorite things is to sing to him.
Now, I am by no means a singer. As I sang different
songs to him, snatches of songs would come from
memory.

One of the songs that came up a month ago is
When you wish upon a star. I realized I only
knew the first two lines. So I quickly looked
up the lyrics online.



Here are the lyrics:

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

If your heart is in your dreams
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do

Fate is kind
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing

Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true





I was like wow.. these lyrics are beautiful.
What it reminded me is that we teach our kids
to dream and wish on stars. As we come become adults,
we lose some of that optimism about our dreams.
Our dreams are gifts from our creator. I truly believe it.
When I was in school, my poetry professor shared
a story with us about dreams. I'll share it with you too now.

He said he an idea for a great story. He kept pushing
it off over and over. It nagged at him for years.
Then one day, he went to the bookstore and there
was his book idea in the flesh. Written by someone
else. He didn't get mad. He realized that the author
and him, maybe even others had been gifted by God with
that same idea. The only difference was that the author
of the book actually wrote the book while he never did.

That always stayed with me. Right now there are dreams
in you wanting to come out. Dreams divinely given.
They are waiting for someone to make them true. Why
can't they you be, my friend.


Here's a version of the song done by N'Sync
that I play for Jacob that he likes. Enjoy.



Keep Dreaming. Keep wishing on Stars.
Keep working on your Dreams.
I am. Hope you do too.

Shellsigna

No comments:

Happy Birthday David

  "Having all that - the fame and adulation and the women and all that stuff they talk about - doesn't make you happy. You have to ...