Monday, December 21, 2009

Winter Solstice



I had what I call a walkabout today in honor
of the Winter Solstice. To honor the
First Day of Winter which has the shortest day
and the longest night. From this day on,
the light will stay with us each day
a little longer.

My digital camera is broken. I wish I can
share with you how beautiful the day is here.
Blue sky with clouds sailing. The wind
whistling. I bundled up and made my
way to my special grove of trees.

Along the way I said hello to the Pine Trees.
I picked some pine cones and needles.
Of course, asking before I took.

Trudged through the snow with my spirits now
soaring. I went over to my favorite trees.
Some cut down by storms. A few only had
their stumps left. I could see in one
of the trees, branches and buds beginning
to grow.

People forget that there is still
growth in Winter. I always get excited
when Winter comes: Christmas, New Year
and my Birthday right around the corner.

I do hope wherever you are, take a moment
or two to celebrate or think about Winter's
arrival in your life. It is to me a
beautiful season.

Shellsigna

11 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

I find a lot of growth happens in the winter - for me, the most "thought" and "process" ideas happen in the darkest months.

Happy Solstice to you!

Her Speak said...

Here here, Miss Shell! It is a glorious season--magick is afoot! :)

Wishing You a Blessed Solstice~*
Molly

clairedulalune said...

Happy Yule to you too, Shell, sounds like you had a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

After a l-o-n-g summer of gardening I find this time of year makes me rest & I can catch-up on my reading & needlework!!
Happy Winter Solstice.....
Have a Merry Christmas!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Caroline said...

Enjoy the magic of this wonderful day...

Cindy said...

Beautiful, I call it a walkabout too.
I could just see you strolling out there. loved the picture! Take care.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Most definitely growth... The cold gets the ground ready to pop those buried bulbs, so in spring we have gorgeous flowers..

GlorV1 said...

I love winter and was born in winter. The thing is, I now have arthritis and sometimes I'm in a lot of paid because of the cold. I do still love the feel of winter. Shell, in case I don't get back to you, have a Merry Christmas and a New Years, be happy, well, and prosper. :) I am really a little busy right now as we all are so I try to get online to say hello and back to what I'm doing. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I hope some of your love of Winter will rub off on me!
I love that the does will now be getting longer ~ yeah!
Happy Winter Solstice Shell!

christina said...

I am looking forward to more light.
Happy Solstice!
xo

A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie said...

Happy Tuesday, my dear! I pray that you have a blessed and joy-filled holiday! Love this post, Shell!
http://girlwhimsy.blogspot.com

Wordless Wednesday: Spring